Tuesday, December 23, 2014

BLACK SHEEP

 

Romans 7:14-24
 
So the trouble is not with the law, for it is spiritual and good. The trouble is with me, for I am all too human, a slave to sin. I don’t really understand myself, for I want to do what is right, but I don’t do it. Instead, I do what I hate. But if I know that what I am doing is wrong, this shows that I agree that the law is good. So I am not the one doing wrong; it is sin living in me that does it. And I know that
nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. I want to do what is right, but I can't. I want to do what is good, but I don't. I don't want to do what is wrong, but I do it anyway. But fi I do what I don't want to do, I am not really the one doing wrong; it is sin living in me that does it. I have discovered this principle of life-that when I want to do what is right, I inevitably do what is wrong. I love God's law with all my heart. But there is another power within that is at war with my mind. This power makes me a slave to the sin that is still within me. Oh, what a miserable person I am! Who will free me from this life that is dominated by sin and death?
 
Why do we find it so difficult to go cold on being lured, enticed, and seduced into doing the wrong things?
 
Our nature which is part spirit and part flesh wars with each other. Our spirit wills to do what is right, because it a part of God. Yet, our flesh has a need to fulfill its senses of sight, smell, taste, touch, and sound. What we allow to entertain us, becomes an instrument for influence, and enslaves us whether for the good or the bad (Gal 5:17, Rom 7:23).
 
How can I build myself up against the flesh?
 
Ways in which we fuel our flesh in becoming stronger than our spirit is by the intake of food, poor choices in media and music, bad company of friends which corrupt good character, drugs and alcohol, the lack in studying God's Word, the lack in communicating with God through prayer, and in practicing righteous behavior (1 Corinth 55:33, Prov 13:20, Rev 18:4, Lk 22:40, 4:13).
 
Ways in which we build our spirit over our flesh; read God's Word daily, meditate on God's commands, place what has been revealed to us through the Holy Sprit into daily practice, sing to God, and pray sometimes with and without fasting, cast all your worries upon God, and find ways to bless someone else's life by words or gestures (Num 6:24-26, 1 Peter 5:7, 2 Tim 2:15).  Furthermore, we must surround ourselves around others who are like-minded; who are interested, and pursuing, the heart of God (2 Corinth 5:1, 1 Corinth 15:33, 5:11, Jude 1:20, Ezra 8:23, Ps 55:22).
 
What are God's thoughts about me when I fail at doing what is right?
 
God loves you know matter who you are. He loves the sick, the possessed, the fornicators, adulterers, prostitutes, homosexual, spiritually unclean, liars, thieves, murderers, persecutors, lost souls, the addict, depressed, racist, the impartial, the idolaters, the infamous, cursers, strifers, the greedy, money lovers, and all those who sin (Rom 5:8, Luke 6:32). What He does not love is the act of sin (Prov 6:16, Ps 97:10, Mal 2:16). Because of His love for you, and His hatred towards sin; He has given you a way to pardon yourself away from the stain of sin, so that you, and not the sin, can reign with Him forever in eternity with everlasting life. God knows that life here with the tempter isn't easy so with that knowledge, He gives forgiveness, to those who see their faults, and seek to turn from doing wrong. God sees that as long as you are still alive; He has given you the opportunity for a new start.
 
How many times will God forgive me for the same sin?
 
God will forgive you as many times as needed. However, His grace in forgiveness isn't to be taken for granted. He knows when we are truly remorseful, seeking change, and when we are only seeking to remain in our rebellion, while using His grace to appease our guilt (Matt 18:21, 6:15, 11:26, Hebrews 10:26, 1 John 1:19).
 
 
Will I ever overcome my sin(s)?
 
Yes, you have the power within you to overcome all things when you are lead by God. When you purposely place God before you, and seek to please Him, and not your flesh, or people; you will win every time (1 Corinth 15:57, 10:13). Nevertheless, you will find yourself wrestling with sin in one area or another from time to time because you and all people have an adversary who prowls to see who he can devour. With that said; temptations and trials will NEVER go away until the day you are with God, being given a new body, a new earth, and a new Heaven. Your faith to overcome the struggles of sin must be renewed every day; for, every day presents itself a new challenge (Rom 6:1-2, Gal 5:17, 1 Peter 5:8, 2 Corinth 5)
 
Should I be worried about what others think of me; although, I've changed?
 
No, you should not be concerned about judgments from other people unless they are without sin themselves; according to God, all have fallen short of His glory (Rom 3:23). People are not to judge other people, because they do not truly know us from our beginning or our end, nor do they know what circumstances we have had to face in life to get us in the predicament we are end. When a person purposely decides to judge someone; they have placed themselves on the throne of God, stating that they are sovereign, and God is not, which places in the way of  God's judgment (Matt 7:1, Jam 4:12).
 
Is eternal death the only means for punishing sin?
 
No. Not all sins lead to eternal death. Yet, all sins are punishable. God has told us curses chase the unrighteous, but blessings chase the righteous. If we want all things to go well with us in life, we must adhere to the commandments of God. Curses are consequences brought upon us for forsaking the warnings of God. God tells us beforehand what will happen when we participate in each sin; therefore, it is up to us to purposely decide to choose either to be protected or  to walk from up under the umbrella of His protection. The adversity we experience due to our rebellion is due penalty. God will use chastisement to lead us back to Him, making restoration the purpose, behind His disciplinary act (Ecc 2:26, Prov 28, Heb 12:8, Jer 31:18, Lev 26:28, 2 Sam 7:14, Job 5:17, Ps 6:1).
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment